Thursday, August 2, 2012

Dry or Fluid Ounces?

I like to think that I am relatively "new" to the cooking world. Baking and cooking is a piece of cake for me, following directions and the amount of each ingredient needed. It is fun for me to alter and change recipes to see if the food tastes decent or if the recipe should have been left alone.


Since I am being consciousnesses about the food I eat, I use measuring cups and scales on a daily basis. Measuring cups are excellent for measuring all types of food. Or so I thought. It never occurred to me that measuring cups are more for liquids as opposed to solid foods like grapes. 


A few days ago, I stumbled across a website that converts a cup to dry ounces. This helps because I can weigh it out on the scale and it is much more accurate than the way I was doing it with the measuring cups. 


http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/conversion_tables.htm

So what have I learned? Use dry ounces when measuring solid foods.


☼Ashley☼


1 comment:

  1. I always use the right "tools" for dry or liquid measure, but have never actually checked to see what difference there is.

    Was it noticeable?

    Maybe you can post one of your favorite recipes one day :-)

    ReplyDelete