Monday, August 6, 2012

Dry Ounces and a Recipe!

Before I get on to today's topic, I would just like to say wow. I attended a baby shower for a close friend of mine on Saturday and was nervous about going because I am trying not to go out for meals, and instead cook at home. So in the morning I prepared myself, made sure that I had about 1,000 calories saved for lunch since it was an Italian place and then burned off 1,000 calories at the gym. I still had enough for breakfast, dinner and some snacks in between. When I got to the baby shower there was candy everywhere. I did not break and refrained from the candy. Lunch was chicken in a lemon sauce and pasta with a sauce and peas in it. The chicken, I took two pieces and estimated it to about 3 oz., the pasta I took about 1/4 cup and I also ate two small rolls. When I say small, they were tiny, but they were fresh and hot. Prior to lunch, I had about 6 glasses of water to prepare myself. Ready for desert? I had a mini canoli, a mini brownie, a small piece of chocolate cake AND a sliver of cheesecake with cherry sauce. I felt pretty good because all of the things I ate were relatively small. I jumped on the scale Sunday morning and the results? .4 lb loss. GO ME!!

On a note about weight loss, I upped my calorie intake to match my BMR more closely. I found I was eating 200 calories UNDER where I should be. So, I adjusted my numbers on 
LoseIt and the weight is falling off. As of this morning I am down 13.8 lbs!

So this morning, I would like to address dry ounces. Thank you Amy for giving me the idea and I will provide a recipe for you as well. I spoke about the difference between dry ounces and using a measuring cup for dry food. So below, I have red grapes. The picture on the left is how many red grapes you would  have if you measured with a 3/4 cup measuring cup. On the right is the computation into dry ounces. 3/4 cup = 5.04 ounces. Do you see the difference? There are more grapes in the dry ounces than using the cup. I know the dry ounces is more accurate than the measure cups. Whats more is 6.00 fluid ounces=5.04 dry ounces.


Pizza
The pizza that I made is white broccoli, delicious and feeds only one person. The nice thing is you can make it for the family and if you are the only one dieting, that works because everyone can put on whatever toppings they want.

Ingredients:
1 Pocket thins, flatbread, 8 grain = 100 calories
1/2 cup 5 Italian cheese, shredded 180 calories
1/3 cup Fat free Ricotta = 80 calories
1/2 cup Broccoli = 15 calories
1/4 tbls garlic powder =7 calories
Total calories = 382

Directions:
1. Take pocket thin and break it open so you have two pieces. Lay it on a baking tray so you have a circle like picture below.
2. Put Ricotta on top of pocket thin, smearing it across the two pieces.
3. Sprinkle garlic powder on both pieces of the pocket thin.
4. Break broccoli into small pieces after weighing and place on Ricotta.
5. Spread the cheese on top.
6. Bake in the over on 400 for about 5 minutes.


Here are the ingredients for bacon pizza.

1 Pocket thins, flatbread, 8 grain = 100 calories
1/2 cup 5 Italian cheese, shredded 180 calories

4 slices turkey bacon= 60 calories
1/4 cup tomato sauce = 20 calories
1/4 tbls garlic powder = 7 calories
Total calories= 367 calories

These are my quick fixes and honestly, I think they taste better than going out and ordering a pizza. The crust has much more flavor and the best part? It is healthy and you know what is on it. :)

☼Ashley☼

1 comment:

  1. Good job on your loss and will power! That pizza looks nom :D

    ReplyDelete