Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Zumba Way

I often mention in my blogs how much I enjoy working out and sweating. However, I do not feel I have taken the time to adequately describe how much I love one exercise in particular: Zumba!

I began attending the Zumba class at my local gym at the beginning of September. I had wanted to try a new class because I was just getting back into the gym routine and as much as I love Bodypump, it did not fit in with life's schedule. So I made a decision to go and try Zumba. The first night I went, I was anxious and nervous because I did not know what I was getting myself into or what to expect from the class. The instructor, Danae, welcomed all the newbies and asked us to attend 3 Zumba classes before deciding whether it was really the class for us. 

I gave it 2 tries and fell head over heels in love with Zumba! The songs are many that we hear on the radio but also reach into different countries with songs being sung in Spanish. All of the songs are so upbeat and really inspire the inner you to come out and kick some Zumba butt! 

The best part of it all is that I am able to move around freely and sweat my butt off and not feel judged. It is such a safe atmosphere where I have met so many wonderful people and have work friends who get to share in the experience. I will never forget at the beginning of my Zumba experience, Danae instructed us to shake everything we have and let it all loose. Well, each and every time I walk into the room and the music starts blasting, you better believe I shake everything I have on this body of mine.

Not only is the dancing amazing, Danae is a fabulous person. She has such a kind nature and is so welcoming to any one that walks into a room. She has no problem going up to people and making them feel like they belong in that class. Within a few times of attending class, she knew my name and would make kind conversation with me until I found out we both knew people in common. 

I have never been so excited in my life to workout, have fun and see how many calories I can burn in one Zumba class. Not only does Danae challenge me each time I walk through the door, she helps me to be better, to challenge myself in little ways such as squatting lower when I punch or hitting the floor with the song "Drop it Low". There is a song that many people dread and many know that I LOVE it and this song has 52 kicks total from start to finish.

Thank you Danae for supporting me along my journey as I work to be a better me. Thank you for acknowledging my strengths and pushing me much farther than I ever thought possible. The affirmations you give me help me to know that what I am doing is all worth it and the final results will be fabulous. Weight loss and maintenance is a life long journey and it is something I plan to continue to work on!

My challenge to you is to try a little harder in your next class or exercise routine. Tell yourself that you are going to go just a little farther and push yourself. It will be worth it in the long run and you will come out saying "I can do anything". That is what I say every time I walk out of Zumba!


☼Ashley☼

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh myyy gosh, girlfriend!!! I feed off of your energy!!! Thank you sooo much for your kind words! You inspire me to be a better instructor, and you push me when this old body needs a push (by requesting the 52 kicks song)! haha I'm so proud of you for accomplishing so much in a short amount of time. I learned a lot during my Zumba certification classes, but there is one thing in particular that I will never forget: Doubt kills! Never, ever, ever doubt yourself. Of course life will throw us punches, and we will just punch back (or kick back 52 times)! You are an amazing person, and your energy and spirit is inspiring. I'm very thankful to have met you along life's journey...and this journey has just begun! ZUMBA LOVE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I have had many people tell me how amazing Zumba is. I actually just ordered a set of DVD's this morning. Can't wait for them to come

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vow to one day try Zumba! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I just started following your blog so if I comment on some older ones that's why! ;)

    I LOVEloveLOVE zumba! I just got done with a class actually! My instructor has some "lower impact" songs for some of our older fitnesslovers that I just grab some light handweights to keep my impact boosted up! :)

    ReplyDelete