Thursday, June 28, 2012

Calorie Challenge

Before I get into the topic of this post, I must share some rather good news. I decided that just for kicks, I would hop on the scale Tuesday to see what my weight was. Normally I would not do that because I weigh in on Saturdays but after seeing another support friend had lost some weight I thought I would try it. Good news? I lost .8 pounds and that was midweek! I am beyond thrilled and even though I know I will have my bad days, I will take whatever I can take.

I enjoy going out to eat for lunch or dinner, just like the next person. The Diner right in town is awesome, the food is wonderful and I can never get enough. But it always makes me wonder how exactly do they make the food? Do I really want to know how much butter they used? Or the ingredients, are they actually edible? The simple fact is even though I do not want to know what it is made of, I need to know. In order for me to lose weight and continue on this healthy lifestyle, I need to maintain control of what I put in my mouth. That does not mean I want to stay caged in my house forever eating only food prepared there. I want to be able to go out and enjoy the simple pleasures in life of going out once in a blue moon to a restaurant that I enjoy. 

Today I took my cooperating teacher down to our Alma Mater for a luncheon where she received an award for her leadership as a cooperating teacher. The school provided lunch for us and it was nice, chicken with gravy, ziti, bread, salad and cookies. As I looked down at the food, I wondered how many calories I was about to eat and how exactly do I track it? I could only estimate how many calories because I knew there was no real figure for me to follow. I thought of about 600 calories for the 1/2 cup of pasta, roll and piece of chicken I ate.

This is one of the challenges I face as I change my eating habits. How do you account for those calories you do not know about? How do you judge how much is too much food? So, this is what I am thinking, if there are days I know I am going out for lunch or dinner, try to save extra calories during the week, drink plenty of water during that day, exercise a little longer and if possible take smaller portions. After all, the person who is serving you the food or making the food, is not going to eat it or wear the food on their hips (That is where my food ends up).

It will take some time but there are only good things to come because I am a survivor and this is my fight alone. I change the direction of my life and will fight this calorie challenge and I will win.

Ashley <3

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,

    Thanks for following my blog....I am now following you and keeping tabs on you :-)

    You are preaching to the choir girl about how hard this whole struggle is!

    I joined TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) about 3 years ago, and I am actually at a higher weight now than I was when I joined...mind you, there has been a baby born in there at one point. Perhaps this group is something for you to consider if you want to amp up the accountability factor. It's cheaper than weight watchers and you can do whatever good plan works for you. But you do have weekly meetings for support and a weight in..which for me is a big deal to help keep me on track!

    For the calories I can't count....I sometimes don't OR I way overestimate them. I wish there was a food that I could input that said "a zillion calories more than I needed"

    Wishing you the best with your journey and feel free to comment on my blog and I will happily support you in any way I can!

    ReplyDelete