I have discovered a new side to a road block that I have been experiencing. My road block is and always will be people but there is a new side that I have seen over the past few weeks. I think it goes along with the stages of weight loss. You get the people who start noticing a difference and they give you any number of compliments as follows...
That is the time you go and get that puffy chest from that boost of confidence and self esteem. You think, to yourself that "yes! I am doing something right and people are noticing how great I look. I have so much more weight to lose, I cannot wait to hear more compliments from people."
Time goes on and you continue to hear those compliments and you are less than 50 lbs to goal weight. A brick comes and knocks you right in the face. A cold hard brick that weighs a ton and bruises a bit of that self esteem that had been created and worked on by not only you but the people around you. This brick is the dreaded switch in comments. You go from hearing any of those to the....
"I think you have lost too much weight, you really need to stop for your own health."
I heard that this morning at church and all I wanted to go up and do was shake the person silly. How could you suggest something like that? First off, it is my body, I know what the healthy weight for me is especially following the BMI scale. Secondly, you just bruised my ego and I do not like you as much anymore.
I realize that I am going to be receiving more comments like the one I got this morning. My issue is now, how do I deal with them mentally, in an appropriate manner and do I respond back to the person who just threw the brick? I need to begin strengthening my mind and not being so sensitive to the comments. In reality, people are going to comment whether I am 500 lbs or at my goal weight. We are an opinionated society and we have no idea when to give a compliment and then move on. I also realize that my weight loss makes people feel inferior. I decided to put the effort in to see results and people hate it because they want it to be easy. If life was easy then it wouldn't be worth living. I am working my butt off to change my eating lifestyle so that it benefits me the rest of my life.
I currently sit on the BMI scale at a 31.1 which classifies me as class 1 obese. I want to get to a 24.2 on the BMI scale which requires me to lose another 40 lbs which I am going to do no matter what obstacles are set in my way. When people tell me that I should't lose any more weight, I have to remind myself that my weight loss journey is not over until I say so.


.jpg)


Ashley,
ReplyDeleteIs't it sad that no matter what we do in life there will always be those people who want to bring you down??
You, my dear, ARE A FANTASTIC PERSON!! Don't forget that!!
To the brick-thrower, well I am very outspoken, I would have marched right up to said brickthrower and told them they don't need to be concerned with my weight and maybe they should take inventory into their own lives before judging others. (I likely would have used bad language but that is because I do not go to church, so I tried to tone down my response)
Keep up the AWESOME WORK, Ashley, I think you are awesome!!